YOU can help Burmese refugees and stateless children gain access to quality education by supporting our 2017 SUMMER SCHOOL!
Help us reach our goal of $3000 by April!
Who are we?
- Kwah Dao (formerly the Burmese Refugee Project) is a non-profit organization working to empower disenfranchised populations in Thailand through education.
Who do we serve?
- Kwah Dao’s After School Program and Summer School work with underprivileged and stateless Shan Burmese children aged 6 – 15 in northern Thailand. These children only have access to basic levels of education, and combined with discrimination, financial pressure and lack of protection or assistance from any international body or larger organisation they grow up with limited job prospects and opportunities.
How did these children become stateless?
- As a result of decades of civil war in Burma, millions of Shan people, an ethnic minority group, fled across the border to Thailand. Here they have found themselves living in a precarious situation as migrant workers, subjected to exploitation and instability, forced to work dangerous, degrading and low-paid jobs, and trapped in cycles of poverty. Children born in Thailand to migrant parents are legally stateless and face countless barriers to education, employment and security.
What is our Summer School all about?!
- During summer school, we teach daily English classes for a range of ages and abilities.
- Additionally, we encourage critical thinking and teamwork, and give our students the opportunity to learn new skills, gain confidence and explore their creativity through sports, music, arts and crafts, and gardening.
- Last, but not least, we provide nutritious lunches, teaching students about sustainability and nutrition by using as many vegetables as are available from our NEW COMMUNITY GARDEN!! 🙂
What do we do outside of Summer School?
- Our After School Program provides supplementary education and activities to enhance our students’ knowledge and skills, help them gain confidence and empower them to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities.
- We offer scholarships and academic guidance that allow students to attend university and vocational education. We currently support nine scholarship students studying subjects from Management and Chinese, to Education. Without these scholarships, our students would not have the financial means to pursue higher education.
- We provide additional support to students or families most in need. This includes financial support for medical and educational fees, channeling donations of clothes and other items, and support in case of emergencies and shocks.
Where does your money go?
- All donations will go directly to paying for school supplies, art and craft materials, transport and food for the summer school. Any leftover funds will be put towards educational and creative materials for the After School Program for the rest of the year.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram!